Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Car Problems

ugh.. I hate having car problems. I'll write more later.. I just hope it's not toast! :(

So here is the story.

My friend Genae and I decided last Friday that we wanted Jack in the Box. The only problem with that is that there are no Jack in the Box(es) in Utah. The closest ones to Provo are either in Idaho or St. George. So we went to St. George. Overall it was a fun trip. We ate there for lunch and then went shopping until her friend called her. Then we stopped by his house for a bit to visit and took off for some frozen custard and to see the view from the black mountain. The trip back wasn't bad either. Until we got to about mile marker 241 (I think).

I had the cruise control on and we were heading up a hill when it just shut itself off. I thought it was weird but then pressed on the gas and we kept moving but we weren't accelerating like we should have been. The temperature gauge didn't say anything to indicate that it was overheating so I was afraid it was the transmission or something else. It got to the point that we were only going about 60 when the car just shut itself off. I was able to get to the side of the road safely though. We opened the hood because it was smoking and as far as we could tell from the light of our cell phones there was antifreeze all over the engine compartment. (At least that's what I'm assuming it is.. that's what it looked like) There was one part of the engine that was RED hot.. but the smoke wasn't coming from it as far as I could tell.

We were about a half hour from Provo so I called my home teacher, Joseph, to see if he could come get us. Thankfully he was able so him and his girlfriend, Michelle, came and got us. I tried starting the car before we left but it just made some funny noise that I can't explain. We moved all our stuff into Joseph's car and locked the doors. I hated leaving it there but really what else could I have done?

I woke up this morning, called my insurance company to get a tow company out there and then called the dealership I brought it to last time to let them know it was coming in. This is the second time in a year I've had to to my car. grr.. Well I guess I'm not going anywhere for a long while. They haven't called me to tell me what was wrong with it or anything but they said they were pretty busy today so hopefully they'll get to it tomorrow. I HATE this.. oh well. I just pray it's not going to cost thousands to fix. I'll have to wait and see though. :(


Update: I got the call today from the dealership and they told me that the car overheated so much that it caused too much damage and that I'll have to replace the engine which like I was afraid of is going to cost about $3000 +/-... grrr!!! I don't know what I'll do but I need to go to work now..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you still making payments? What year is itm and how many miles does it have on it? Cause I'd take those into consideration before paying that kind of money to fix it. Maybe a new one is just what you need! I'm sorry to hear about that, but good luck!

shawna said...

Yes I owe around $7500 still. it's a 2000 and has 97000+/- miles on it. I've had it less than 2 years. Dad says I have to get it fixed- one way or another.