So I haven't posted in awhile again.. well job hunting takes a lot of time. I thought I'd update real quick.
August 1st I started my new job though it's not a good job or anything I want to do.. seriously don't want to do. I'm an inventory associate- we go into different stores and do inventory for them. simple as that.. it's easy but annoying as all heck! I work really odd hours- mainly starting at 2,3,4 in the morning. Anyways today is my day to work on my resume before sending it to the missionaries at LDS employment services. Tonight I have to go inventory a Target in Tucker (= BARF!)
While I was at the LDS Employment office I went next door to the LDS Family services to see if they could give me some names of agencies in the area that might be hiring or even that I could just volunteer at. The secretary couldn't think of any but she went and asked the director but he didn't offer any suggestions either. The secretary did explain that they were getting a new adoption supervisor next month and that I could leave my name and information and she would pass it along to her. So wrote my contact info and just said that I was looking for a position or even just a chance to volunteer whether with LDS Family Services or without. Well I wasn't expecting anything right away but I got an email yesterday for the new supervisor and she wants to see my resume and meet with me when she gets here which isn't until September 8th but that's still not far off. I don't want to get too excited about it because I'm pretty sure the Church is still on a hiring freeze but even getting to volunteer would help me a lot- I've been out of the volunteering game for 4 months and I don't like it.
In a not so related topic (but maybe):
I go to the Kroger on the corner by our house for my groceries. A few weeks ago while I was checking out I could tell that both my checker and bagger suffered from diminished mental capacities. The bagger was really friendly and asked if I found everything ok and talked about what a nice day it was out. (according to my aunt that's what he says to everyone every time they come in- I thought it was cute anyways). So while I was standing there I just thought about how great it is that companies can find positions for individuals that have these kinds of problems/issues. I started getting all teary just thinking about it and I'm grateful to be able to have those sort of encounters with people everyday. Though they might not have a full mental capacity that the majority of the world have they have so much to give and are willing to give of themselves so much that you don't get from most of anyone else you come into contact with everyday. It happened again yesterday when I went to the same store and there was another gentleman standing at the door handing out the circulars that usually just sit on the metal holders for anyone to take. He offered me one and I didn't really need it so I said no thanks but have him a big smile and he smiled back.
Not I'm sitting here crying about this and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just because I wish i could be that genuine, happy, smiling person to everyone I come into contact with but I'm not. And maybe it's partly because I see how other people treat them- like the lady in front of me with the checker/bagger didn't even look at the man talking to her. She was so wrapped up in her own world (I think she had been on the phone) to even notice this man but she did answer his questions but wasn't so friendly towards him and seemed really impatient that it took them a few extra seconds to finish with her order. How can we be so arrogant to thing that we are the most important thing in the world? That our time is more precious than anyone else's?
It's crazy how the simplest thing can change my outlook so much. So I'm going to try to be kind and understanding to all people- not just the "special" ones though they definitely have a special place in my heart. Well I really do need to work on this resume but this probably won't be the end of this topic for me. I'll try to remember to write more experiences and thoughts as I encounter them. But for now.. BYE!
Our Wedding Party was the BEST!
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment